18 May 2007

Ad Nausea: Berries and Cream

I'd like to make the serious announcement that I LOVE this commercial. When I was doing really poorly, I started watching TV again to distract myself, and most advertisements still make me want to blow my brains out (television, radio, billboards, magazines, banana sticker cross-promotions), but this one makes me laugh until I cry.




This really is a notable development, because the best I do otherwise is snickering at the Geico caveman commercials. I loathe advertising with a passion and it makes me all queasy inside. But this one I drop everything to pay attention to. If you know me, you know how odd that is.

Some people don't seem to get it at all (particularly certain men who are just irked that he's so damned gay), while others will do the dance with me, repeatedly. And I can discuss its fucking brilliant nuances the way other people sit around and talk about Dostoyevsky... If I've lost you, I understand, but I want to thank this commercial for being able to make me glad that I turned on the TV. For a second.

Also, check out the very interesting phenomenon that has developed on YouTube: people posting videos of themselves re-enacting the commercial. Who knew?

I wrote the Starburst people to suggest that they make a second installment of the commercial consisting of ordinary people re-enacting the thing on YouTube and was summarily told to fuck off because they'd owe me money if they used my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog from